1:51 AM

Work, work, work...

Comunicato redatto da tommygun

It's been a long time since my last post here, apologies.

Basically these months are the most intense of my life, I'm finishing my Master in London, I've graduated in Rome, and after 6 months of lectures,exams and dissertation, I'm finally coming (slowly) back tot he real life.
So, just wanted to introduce you to what has been taking away my social life lately...DIGITAL IMAGES.

Yes, I'm studying an MSc in Computer Science about Computer Vision & Virtual Environments, and for the last year I've been dealing with any possible kind of pixel's problem you could imagine ( and not just that)!

It's great, I mean I love it... always been into photography (now even more with my Canon 450D), but being able to make it my (hopefully) future career has been clearly the best choice of my life.

So few projects I'm dealing with lately:

1) Image classification through Support Vector Ma
chines: this was actually the Rome's final project and dissertation topic.
I won't annoy you with ll the details, but imagine this topic final goal is the one to give computer the view. It worked for me, my Mac is able now to distinguish between Leopards, Camels, Cars, Ferries and other 101 classes. it was amazing! Here the link to my page, where you'll find more details and the final dissertation if you are interested.

2) Deghosting in dynamic HDR: this is actually the final project for London's master and also its dissertation topic.
HDR images are the future of digital images: they contains a bigger and better range of real colors, resulting in a much more powerful image description and representation. In two words, they are gorgeous!
Actually it is a bit complicated to explain here in 2 lines why they are so great, so have a look at one of them to understand it:


Unfortunately, there are no commercial cameras (actually there are few expensive ones) that can take directly HDR shots, as they requires a set of different exposures of the same STILL scene to be post processed and fused. And there's where my project comes.
As said, you need a set of the exact same image at different exposures (amount of lights in the scene) to avoid ghosts in HDR and capture this wider range of colors. If you don't, that's what you'll get. So my project wants to reduce this effect of ghosting, eventually erasing it completely when capturing dynamic scene.
And then we could have HDR football pictures, or concert scenes. Amazing!
Someone already tried, this is what they got.

So that was it.
Apologies for this little excursus, really soon the normal national propaganda broadcasting will be reinstate.

Ah, a book suggestion too:


And after that, you'll know every single little detail of that glorious battle.